The Gardening Father

Scripture

Today's full Bible reading is John 15:1-17
'I am the true vine and my Father is the vine dresser.'
John 15:1
Observation

This is quite a clear 'here's what the Father's like' sort of verse. The Father is the 'vine dresser' or sometimes the translations say 'the gardener'.

He is as actively involved with his people as a vine dresser or gardener is with his plants. Daily a gardener waters, prunes and shapes his plants and depending on the season of the year he treats it differently. In winter the vine gets very little attentions from a gardener apart from perhaps some protection from the frost. In spring time there is weeding and shaping, in summer there is watering and gathering and in autumn there is preparing for winter.

As a vine dresser he knows the vine, knows its needs and is committed to the vine's wellbeing. The vine after all is Christ, not us; that is perhaps a useful idea and one for us to stay with for a while. I am/we are branches on the vine and get the attention and dedication of the vine dresser purely because I'm part of the vine and the gardener loves the vine.

Again we see how much the Father is committed to his Son and how my benefits come from being in the Son. Plead the Son therefore, have confidence in the Son. Dote on the Son, delight in the Son, have the love and affection of the Father toward the Son.

The Father tenderly prunes, shapes, harvest, waters and waits over the vine. Those are all words then that describe the character and personality of the Father, my Father.

Application

The vine dresser always acts in such a way to try and bring about more fruitfulness from the vine. The Father, by implication, will always work and act in our lives to try and bring about more fruitfulness for us. Fruitfulness of Christ-like character, fruitfulness of intimacy with the Father, fruitfulness of answered prayer and personal joy in God.

Given that that's his motive it allows me to surrender to his ways and submit myself to what he wants to do. But surrender in the Christian life isn't 'let go', surrender is 'go on abiding'. When I surrender to God and submit myself to his plans that doesn't mean that I 'coast' through life or that I simply shrug my shoulders and say 'whatever will be, will be'. Rather it looks like a practical and intentional pursuit of Jesus. I am promised the vine dresser's good will by virtue of 'abiding' in the vine and so I shall ensure that I, in as many ways and means, abide in the vine.

Prayer

Father. Thank you so much that you are committed to the careful working and pruning and shaping and trimming of my life, with the intention of bringing about more fruitfulness. Thank you that you give what I desire, fruitfulness, purpose and intimacy. Help me to surrender, not in the sense that I 'give up' but in the sense that I 'press in' to Jesus more and more. Amen.