The Father To Obey

Scripture

Today's reading is John 15:1-17.
'If you keep my commandments you will abide in my love, just as I have kept the commandments of my Father and abide in his love.'
John 15:10
Observation

'I love you!' we might declare to God, or sing in a song,
'Then keep my commandments, do as I say.' He'd perhaps say back to us.

For Jesus there is a close link between loving God and doing what he says. To obey someone shows that you trust them. Jesus wants us to do what he has done. He obeys his Father and so abides in his love.

Do I want to know God more? Do I want to rest in God? Do I want to rest in God? Do I want to experience his love in an ongoing never ending way? Then I must obey him. Obedience doesn't always come from a place of love, we obey for many different reasons. But love is not love if it doesn't look to obey and honour the object of its affection.