The Father Gives Eternal Life

Devotional Studies on the Father form the Gospel of John

Scripture

For this morning's full text click here
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out... For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life.
John 6:37 & 40
Observation

The Father gives to the Son and gives him people and those people receive life in Jesus' name. Again we see both the Father's generosity and his desire for people to have eternal life. But we also see how the Father's highest delight is in the Son. Jesus says: 'Look on the Son', 'believe in the Son,' & 'given to me [the Son]'.

We learn that Jesus will not & does not lose any people whom the Father gives to him. Salvation and eternal life are not just found in Jesus, they are secured in him as well. Jesus' grip on those the Father gives him is secure and permanent.

Application

This morning allow your minds eye to see the God who is Father. See the Father who is giving you rescue and new life, secure and true. See the Father who wants you to find rescue in Jesus. He wants for you to be safe and secure. He wants you to come to eternal life and not to lose it.

This is what he's like. He's a rescuing and protecting Father. In the words of an old hymn:
'let me no more my comfort draw, from my frail hold of thee.
In this alone rejoice with awe, thy mighty grasp of me.' 
Where is your confidence this morning? Is it in yourself to remain in Christ and so be saved by your own will and effort, or is it in him and his ability to keep hold of you? God doesn't lose any who come to him for rescue, he's not about to start now.

Prayer

Father this is really good news. You're a good Father,  but I can also see that you're a safe Father. You are strong and able to protect me and look after me. Help me today to trust you and celebrate the fact that you've not only saved me in the present tense but that you'll save me in the final sense. You will keep me safe all the way. Thank you.